A Call A Day Takes Loneliness Away

Home / Forums / Health Awareness / A Call A Day Takes Loneliness Away
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of Nidhi Mishra
    Nidhi Mishra
    April 7, 2017 at 9:07 pm #26048

Today is World Health Day. Every year World Health Organization (WHO) selects a theme around a health topic which is a common concern to people all over the world.This year’s theme is “Depression:Let’s Talk”. According to WHO “depression affects people of all ages, from all walks of life, in all countries.”

This can become an acute problem among senior citizens, especially those who are living alone. Based on my observations and professional experience I strongly agree with WHO that the main cause of depression in senior citizens is loneliness and loss of independence and having simple conversations can make a huge difference. Sharing an informative video by WHO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXZZcdFXTtY&feature=youtu.be

So, this weekend pick up the phone or have a face to face conversation with your parents, grandparents or any other elder family member or friend to make them feel special and appreciated. This simple step will not only control the feeling of loneliness among our elders but will also motivate them to lead a socially and physically active life.

Health Day

That’s my 18 months old toddler blabbering on the phone and trying to strike a conversation with her grandmother 🙂

Profile photo of LAKSHMI NARAYANA NAGISETTY
    LAKSHMI NARAYANA NAGISETTY
    April 13, 2017 at 3:03 pm #26076

Yes it is true. Connecting with the family, friends and community is more important for all in general and more particularly for the seniors & one living alone. In this direction Shri. Sripati Panduranga Rao (70+) is the best example and advisor cum facilitator. He lives in Hyderabad and stay alone as per his own choice. He moves and connects the people of all ages. I’m the one lucky person of this group. We regularly meet, visit NGOs, Oldaged Homes and exchage views on regular basis.

Certainly he is the role model of simple living and high thinking.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.