Live Young…Live Free

Home / Forums / Intergenerational Relationships / Live Young…Live Free
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Profile photo of Senior Express
    Senior Express
    January 23, 2017 at 12:20 pm #25740

Sharing a beautiful experience recently written and shared by our young contributor Mr. Ajay Nadkarni. He has written this based on his interaction, observation and bonding with an elderly couple whom he met in a nursing home where he went for some medical need. Enjoy the article!
    ………………………………………………………………………………

Imagine waking up with a deaf and painful ear and then you end up irritating your friends at your workplace by asking them to repeat what they want to convey not once, twice but thrice. Fed up, I finally called up an Ear-Nose-Throat (ENT) nursing home in plush Khar West area of Mumbai. The nurse on the phone there was more irritated and howled at me for asking her the fees of the doctor as she had to repeat it twice. The devil in me was happy to have irritated one more person and just when I was entering the building a hoarse aged voice called me from my back “Beta (son), Can you lead us to Dr. Bhargavas Clinic.” Just when I turned back I saw a very elderly couple with cutest smiles on their faces. The lady particularly was very happy to spot me.

It took little less than 15 minutes to go up as both were finding it very difficult to walk and needed a support. Yet, they were cheerful as ever. No sooner I found out from the handsome and talkative grandpa that he is 88 years old and his beautiful wife is 84.The grandpa and grandma both could not hear a word what they said to each other, hence they were there. The nurse told me to wait for 30 minutes and the old couple’s appointment was just after me.

Those 30 minutes were the most beautiful as I was the lone witness to this silent world of the old couple. Both of them knew what they were about to say next. There was superb coordination between them. They both were laughing over politics and the WhatsApp fever had totally gripped them too. I told to myself why I was so grumpy when the old couple was so happy despite of their hearing problem. But what happened next shocked me. Their son was in the car and on their insistence, the nurse called him upstairs. The swanky dressed middle aged man came and sat next to his dad for a minute and called up his wife saying “why am I wasting my Rs.1200 for this old man, the result will anyways be that he won’t hear anything at his age.”

The couple possibly unaware of what their son was saying and what his attitude was kept enjoying their world. Just when I was about to enter the doctor’s cabin, the grandpa called me and said, “Old age is inevitable; learn to hear your loved one’s feelings from your heart and not voice. I hear what her heart says, that’s our secret.” I wondered how the grandpa read the question in my mind.

After my appointment, I met grandpa at the door and he said with a mischievous smile, “It must be an ear infection, you are not deaf.” Needless to say it was true.

As I was walking out of the clinic, there was this WhatsApp message, reading it in the morning really changed my day-
    “Become friends with people who aren’t of your age. Hang out with people whose first language isn’t the same as yours. Get to know someone who doesn’t come from your social class. This is how you see the world. This is how you grow.”

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.