SENIOR CITIZEN SUPPORTS GRAND DAUGHTER WITH MENTAL RETARDATION

Home / Forums / News & Announcements / SENIOR CITIZEN SUPPORTS GRAND DAUGHTER WITH MENTAL RETARDATION
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of LAKSHMI NARAYANA NAGISETTY
    LAKSHMI NARAYANA NAGISETTY
    February 13, 2017 at 9:33 pm #25843

In the last week, I had an opportunity to meet a senior citizen (70+) who is taking care of her grand daughter (20 years) having Mental Retardation and associated disabilities. This is at one NGO which I am mentoring.

The details includes: This Senior Citizen’s daughter is blessed with a female child having special needs. Later, this has been screened, assessed, and categorized as Mental Retardation (with Autistic Features). The child’s parents understood the realities and developed NGO with the sole purpose of supporting such children living in the rural village where this senior citizen lives. This NGO got developed and got recognition recently by way of National Award by Government of India. The process is going on to reach more such children both quantitatively and qualitatively.

This senior citizen in spite of undergone surgery, fully devoted and spends full time with the children. During my regular visits (monthly), I feel happy to interact with this Senior Citizen and updates what we are doing in the process of training and rehabilitation of the children so that they can contribute towards independent living with better sustainability and to get answer for the parent’s concern that “what will happen to the child after us?”

Me along with the team feel happy to associate him while interacting with the parents having such children for: creation of awareness, orientation, motivation, and confidence building.

This person has got full support from the family, and community and asset for the NGO. He feels his association with NGO is an opportunity, different from other seniors.

I feel that the association of senior citizens with the people at Family and Community depending on their need / challenge will work as a strength for searching better solution.

Every Senior Citizen should explore the needs / challenges of others (including family) as an opportunity to serve others. This sort of process will have duel advantage as: relief, satisfaction & healthy living of Seniors and better living of others.

All the best for the healthy living of SENIORS.

Profile photo of Senior Express
    Senior Express
    February 13, 2017 at 9:50 pm #25851

Dear Mr. Nagisetty, thanks for sharing such a different perspective on inter-generational relationship.

Thanks
    Senior Express Team

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.