What is Healthy Ageing?

Home / Forums / Health Awareness / What is Healthy Ageing?
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of Nidhi Mishra
    Nidhi Mishra
    January 11, 2017 at 11:50 am #25708

Health is often considered to be related with physical and psychological fitness, however, based on my PhD work and my real life experiences of working with senior citizens, I found that healthy ageing also comprises of socio-economic well-being and spiritual growth.

Socio-economic well-being is influenced by various factors such as getting respect and importance in old age by family and society, being financially secure and being able to avail the social security benefits from government.Even World Health Organization and Biopsychosocial model of health emphasizes on the social dimension of health along with physical and psychological dimension.

Spiritual growth is mainly related to self-actualization which comes with sense of contentment and satisfaction with one’s life in old age.

In my opinion healthy ageing means being physically active and mobile, having positive outlook in life,being socially and financially secure and having a sense of contentment with life, irrespective of the problem faced and dissatisfaction experienced. It is a holistic concept and it cannot be achieved by senior citizens alone until and unless, the family, civil society and government works at their end in helping the senior citizens experience this state.

What is the concept of healthy ageing in your view?

Arvind Mudgal
    January 17, 2017 at 12:53 pm #25727

Healthy ageing means be always positive towards life. Don’t always think of past. Try to fulfill your wishes like travelling with your spouse, India or abroad depending once financial position etc. Most important thing is don’t interfere in your children day today matters , don’t give suggestions to youngsters, unless you are asked for it. One should be spiritual but not too much,or rather “over spiritual”.
    Health is most important issue, one has to maintain, Morning walk at least 5-6 days a week, if possible some lite exercises,yoga. Take proper care of health, don’t try self medications.
    learn modern gadgets like smart phones, internet , etc. without addicting to it. Good books are best friends,but not over strain sight.NEVER THINK “WHAT HAPPENS TO ME TOMORROW”,

Profile photo of Senior Express
    Senior Express
    January 17, 2017 at 1:00 pm #25729

Thank you Mr. Arvind Mudgal for sharing such positive thoughts on healthy ageing. Agree with you that for leading a healthy life one must live in present and must try to fulfill their wishes.

Thank you
    Senior Express Team

Indu Chitnis
    January 24, 2017 at 7:58 pm #25746

Healthy Ageing is an attitude. If you think positive then you feel and live positive. I think, feel and live healthy.

Saumya Nigam
    February 7, 2017 at 2:00 pm #25810

I really like the point that Mr.Arvind Mudgal has mentioned that for a healthy living elders should stop interfering in the day to day life of youngsters. It reminded me one of the questions which one of our Professor and a well known social psychologist asked “where do you think that elders get more respect and positivity – in western countries or ours??” All of us answered in one voice that respect is more in Asian countries. Then he said that elders are respected more in west as they don’t interfere.

Profile photo of LAKSHMI NARAYANA NAGISETTY
    LAKSHMI NARAYANA NAGISETTY
    February 9, 2017 at 3:46 pm #25820

Happy to see the concern and reflections on Healthy Ageing. It is basically the attitude to accept realities and prepare to face the same as an opportunity. The needs and desires should be realistic with family as a unit. Many times, the people who are going to get retired will feel that they are going to loose or missing something. The group who are really struggling for the basic needs and commitments of the family will hope for their continuation mainly for the economical support. The other group who are well placed, want to continue for their position and luxury. In both the cases, their basic attitude affects their living along with the family.

I took VRS at the age of 45 years i.e., in 2003 [leaving 15 years of service as a Earth Scientist (Exploration Geophysicist) from PSU of GOI] enjoying the life by mentoring NGOs working on various issues of the People / Community. My plan, commitment, and family support made me to continue my services since last 16 years and placed well at all the levels with satisfaction. In fact, i have published more than 70 papers both in National and International on various issues of the People & Community mostly with problem solving strategies / interventions/ models. Yesterday got the approval from the National Journal Publisher that my paper of “HEALTHY LIVING OF SENIOR CITIZENS – SERVICE MODELS” has been accepted and the volume will be released mostly by end of this month. I will be posting shortly more details of this paper.

It is my experience that controlling Needs, Desirous, Acceptance, Accountability, Transparency, Participation, connectivity, and race towards undesired Wealth will certainly help the people to move towards Healthy Living and thus to accept Healthy Ageing.

Profile photo of Nidhi Mishra
    Nidhi Mishra
    March 29, 2017 at 12:12 pm #26009

Thanks for Sharing your thoughts and experiences related to healthy ageing. Mr. Nagisetty you have very rightly said that “It is basically the attitude to accept realities and prepare to face the same as an opportunity.”

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.